Guitar and Bass Set ups
Steve has worked as a tech for over 30 years working as a backline tech on a variety of tours with a variety of bands and has also completes set ups and minor repairs for clients.
Basic set up (£30 no tremolo £35 with tremolo) includes:
Most guitar/bass playability or sound problems often be remedied by a thorough simple set-up. Over the years I have developed a strategy for streamlining this to speed up the process. This applies to both bass and guitar.
- Get the thing playing and making a noise to allow assessment of what needs to be done.
- Get in touch with you if there is a need for a fret dress etc.
- Simple set up take of the old strings and give the fingerboard a clean.
- Restring the instrument with new strings of choice and tune to pitch to assess problems.
- Set up tremolo system if there is one this need to be discussed with you if you want it floating alla “Jeff Beck” or Flat like “SRV on Number 1”.
- Truss rod to suit you.
- Nut slots if need be, if you have gone heavier or if you have gone lighter by a chunk you will probably need a new nut and we will have sorted that at point 2.
- Intonation set and whole guitar played and more tweaks made to suit your style.
- Pick up height and battery checked and replaced if needed.
- Final play and polish.
Fret Dress (£65) Includes
If we get to point 2 above and it looks like the frets need a bit of TLC this is what happens, to be honest there are quite a few big manufacturers that could do with taking a bit more care with this:
- Strings off the instrument, neck off if a bolt on, if it is a bolt on everything is taped and masked to stop the little fillings causing havoc. Fingerboard is masked with low tac masking tape.
- Neck straightened and left to do what necks do “MOVE” checked again!
- Frets stoned flat with a generous supply of further checking with a straight edge.
- Frets profiled/crowned inc fret ends.
- Frets dressed, polished and finish with a nice oiling of the fingerboard.